Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Choose to Not Be Stupid

Have you ever seen the t-shirt that says “there are no stupid questions, only stupid people?” What it should say is “stupid people ask stupid questions." I came to this realization on a cold and blistery Tuesday. Strike that this is Texas and it is 100 degrees outside and the industrial size air conditioning at the school just can’t keep up.


In my genetics class the professor frequently stops class to answer questions of students who have raised their hands. Now, normally this would be a good thing because we all want to learn. That’s why we are spending thousands of dollars on our education, not simply to use up the air conditioning. However in many instances I find myself more than just a little frustrated with people who come to classes and then just sit there playing on facebook or disrupting class.

Last class one of said students who constantly asks the dumbest of questions raises his hand and I just put my pencil down because I know that nothing not worthy is about to be said. The question can barely get out of the students mouth before half the class (the half paying attention) will shoot said student a WTF look. I mean seriously dude where have you been? Were you dreaming off in your own personal fantasy and just decided you wanted to join the rest of us? Our professor is nice looking but not so provocative that you can’t pay attention for an hour and a half. Have your day dream fantasies on your own time because she answered your question five minutes ago. I’m sitting through class because I want to hear what she has to say otherwise I’d just read the book and show up for the test.

Another thing that really frustrates me about being on campus is that students age 18 to 54 will just jump out in front of cars as if the laws of physics don’t apply and more. There is a protected crosswalk about 50 to 100 feet from you are you that lazy that you can’t walk that far in order to help ensure your safety? I’m pretty sure that your high school, possibly even junior high teacher taught you Newton’s three laws, they are a science staple.

Law #1: Objects in motion will stay in motion and objects in rest will stay in rest unless acted upon my an external force.
Hmmm….. a moving car wants to continue moving and will an external force (the brakes) to stop its movement

Law #2: F=ma (Force equals mass times acceleration)
Do I really need to do the math for you to figure out that a car will exert way more force on you then you will on it? This will ensure injury to you but not necessarily to the car.

Law #3: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
Simply put if a one ton car going 35 mph hits you (150 lb person) going 3 mph then you are going to go flying.

In the scenario person versus car, car will win so don’t tempt fate. Just use your brain. This kind of stupidity is a choice. Choose to not be stupid!

1 comment: